The following organizations offer information, research, counseling and help when dealing with mental health and substance abuse issues.
- The primary federal government resource for mental health and substance abuse issues is Samhsa.gov. The home page lists several hotline numbers as well as treatment locators and directories. Within SAMHSA, this page- www.mentalhealth.gov has lots of good resources, as does this page- www.samhsa.gov/find-help.
- nami.org – the National Alliance on Mental Illness is the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization, dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness.
- Shatterproof.org is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to ending the devastation addiction causes families. The James Werner Legacy Team, with 51 members, was the largest team at the Shatterproof 5K in DC on October 21, 2017.
- http://beforeitstoolate.maryland.gov is the Maryland site that deals with addiction, offering resources and treatment options.
- overdoseday.com – International Overdose Awareness Day aims to raise awareness of overdose and reduce the stigma of a drug-related death.
- nimh.nih.gov – is the lead federal agency for research on mental disorders.
- drugabuse.gov – federal site whose mission is to advance science on the causes and consequences of drug use and addiction and to apply that knowledge to improve individual and public health.